Squidwards nightmare Squidwards nightmare

I appreciate the amount of effort and creativity that went into making this. However, it just wasn't that scary. There was a decent jump-scare at the beginning, but overall it did not have a lot of atmosphere. Maybe this is just me because I'm a huge fan of horror and am therefore used to this sort of thing, but the pacing was inconsistent and nothing really adds up. It was interesting to see a glimpse of Squidward's past, but with the way it is, it adds nothing to the story. What actually happens in this? Does Squidward's art attack him? Is it in his imagination? I understand that most good horror films leave a lot of questions unanswered, but there also needs to be a clear and concise plot or theme in order for that to work. Even the most abstract horror films have an overlaying theme that connects the events to each other. Again, this could just be me, but I don't feel like this has any particular theme; it's just scary simply for the sake of being scary. This can work if and only if there are clearly defined limits of the fictional world you're creating.

Boy with Nails for Eyes 2 Boy with Nails for Eyes 2

I know that this was posted a little over six years ago, so me reviewing it now is probably irrelevant. However, I was very impressed with the artwork and your style as an artist, but that's where my enthusiasm ends. Good artwork can't save a frankly boring and forgettable story that is written in a pretentious style. I was even a little confused by what you were going for. Why was Bobby in love with Susie/Daisy/whatever her name is? Why did he look into the drain hole of his bathroom? Why did his mother insist that he wear plastic bags on his shoes? Is Bobby sick? What are the dreams supposed to mean? Maybe you did answer some of these questions in your other parts of the comic or in this comic itself, but the way you may or may not have presented this information just left me confused, bored, and slightly annoyed at your attempt to write "poetically". Some of the writing style works in your favor in some of the scenes, such as the scene where Bobby is trying to do something with some paper when he thinks about the girl he likes (is he drawing? writing?). However, it is best to be used sparingly because the "poetic" style of writing loses its novelty very quickly because that style of writing just seems to be trying way too hard to sound smart when there's really not that much substance. If you're going to write, write as plainly as possible; don't feel the urge to "sound smart" because most of the time you'll end up either sounding pretentious, foolish, or both. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to bring substance into your work, but what I mean is that you should bring it about in a way that people can feel that it is accessible without demeaning their intelligence. Instead of writing, "She detected the faint conspiratorial scent of illness," try to say something along the lines of, "She thought that he looked sick," and instead of, "Her son; he was spectre pale and silent," try, "Her son was spectre pale and silent," (that particular example didn't need to be edited that much; just needed to take out that one word to keep it from sounding redundant). It may or may not be what you're going for, but it sounds a lot clearer. A good rule of thumb that I'm still working on as a writer: write how you would normally speak. If you don't speak like this, don't write like this.

Super Dad Super Dad

I rarely review, and I rarely give zero stars on anything I review, but this was beyond terrible. The animation was smooth, but that's the only nice thing I have to say. The "humor" consisted only of swearing; this is insultingly juvenile and not even remotely amusing. Did you really expect people to laugh because they said fuck, shit, and ass multiple times? For something rated M, it could've had at least SOME over the top slapstick, but again it disappoints.

NorthridgeNG responds:

Thanks, I see what you mean, I wrote this about two years ago and it was just a challenge to make the crudest animation I could, I agree the humour could have been a lot more complex and I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it.

Nursery Rhymes of Death Nursery Rhymes of Death

This was hilarious! The deaths for all of the characters were appropriate and I liked how you incorporated actual children's songs within the piece; the very end was also pretty grim and amusing. I only took off half a star because "Humpty Dumpty" was very predictable; his death is even incorporated in the nursery rhyme itself. Otherwise, this is very well done and you should make a sequel including more nursery rhymes and more extreme deaths.

Robot Chicken Intro - FIM Robot Chicken Intro - FIM

What an unusual cross-over, but you've made it work to your advantage. I especially love Twilight Sparkle as the mad scientist and Scootaloo as the chicken. The ending after the credits was hilarious and your animation is clean. Good work!

happy tree friends part 2 happy tree friends part 2

When I saw MLP crossed with Happy Tree friends, I thought that it would be some god-awful parody of some sort; fortunately you've proved me wrong. However, I would have liked to see the first part so I could know what was going on, and there were a few plot holes. If the "Evil" Pinkie isn't real, how could she have killed Rainbow Dash? And if Rainbow Dash is dead, how could she have suddenly reappeared and save everyone? Some of the voices were tough to understand too, especially AppleBloom's voice.

shifty123 responds:

Well Rainbow Dash appeared that she is an angel now and pinkie is dead.

Q-Birdy  Rock & Roll Q-Birdy Rock & Roll

I'm not going to comment on the animation itself because it is your first attempt, and I applaud you for that. However, the movie was too short and I didn't think that anything really interesting happened; it just seemed random for the sake of randomness. The title was also misleading; I thought that it was going to be about a bird doing Rock n' roll (which could have been an interesting premise for a short cartoon), but it wasn't; all I saw was a bird getting shot for no reason. Overall, I think that this is a nice first try, but some major revisions are necessary to make this better.

DestinyArtsStudios responds:

you should read my description it tells about why i upload this "7 year" old project. everything i,m doing here is part of a plan toward something Awesome! Although this maybe my first frame by frame attempt it is not my first animation. it's just a part of a plan to something greater in dew time.

Trust Me! My First Real Animation will be the Best Period!.

It's a bird! It's a bird!

I am disappointed; you could have done SO much more with the premise you were going for. While the animation was nice, this was way too short and the joke fell completely flat. If you wanted the movie to be that short, that's okay, but since you've failed to deliver the punchline in a timely manner, it just seems very abrupt. Maybe your sense of humor is not quite my cup of tea, but all in all I feel that much more could have been done, such as someone saying, "It's a bird!" and then focusing on said bird instead of Superman flying by.

Christlan the Jesus Lion Christlan the Jesus Lion

Even though I haven't read the books, the humor in this is very clever and I thought this was pretty funny. Despite that it was somewhat predictable and that there was more cursing than necessary, I can tell that this was well thought out and took time and effort to produce. This is a nice jab at the seldom seen Christian-fantasy genre. Good job!

dogsinthecathouse responds:

Thanks for your review, I'm glad you liked it! :)

Louis CK - God's Return Louis CK - God's Return

I love how you animated this particular scene from "Louis CK", and he is also one of my favorite comedians. Even though the audio isn't yours, you made it original with the expressiveness you put into your animation, and I love some of the little references to every day life that you made. I would try and improve the graphics; they seemed rather sloppy and unpolished. Other than that, you did a good job with this.